Author Topic: croatian citizenship  (Read 17932 times)

marijah

croatian citizenship
« on: October 20, 2005, 08:48:51 pm »
Are there any U.S. citizens out there who have sought CRO citizenship? Does anyone know the EXACT requirements? I have done research online and it appears that I fulfill the two requirements, i.e. I speak the language fluently and have proof of my mother's Croatian nationality. My mother, however, DID become a U.S. citizen. Any ideas? I am asking this not only for sentimental reasons but also bc I am thinking about buying property, and it appears that it is better to do so with Croatian citizenship.

Dubrovnik Online Forum

croatian citizenship
« on: October 20, 2005, 08:48:51 pm »

croatian citizenship
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 08:17:44 am »
You are legally entitled to Croatian citizenship. Not sure the exact process of getting it. I think you need your mother's domovnica (citizenship paper) , maybe just valid passport will do. Come to think of it, probably not, for most things you need a document that is not more than 6 months old. Meaning you would need to go to the maticar where your mother is registered and get a copy of her domovnica. And within 6 months file your paperwork.
I got mine like that somehow... (born in USA, both parents Croatian with U.S. citizenship too)... Ill ask my parents where they filed the paperwork, but im sure its at the main police station of the place where they are registered as citizens. You probably (obviously) need proof that you are your mother's child. Birth certificate (translated into croatian by a sudski tumac) will be necessary.
Ill let you know if I find out anything more, but for sure it should be no problem (besides bureaucratic... lines) getting croatian citizenship - its your birthright.

croatian citizenship
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 08:32:35 am »
Sorry, I'm not positive if you are entitled to Croatian citizenship. I got interested and looked up the law about it and read it: http://www.vlada.hr/Download/2003/05/13/Za...vu_NN_53-91.htm

And I am not 100% sure if you are entitled because only one of your parents is Croatian, I assume youre not born in Croatia, and I assume you havent lived in Croatia more than 5 years.

I am entitled automatically because both my parents are Cro - thats written in part 4.1 of the law. When only one parent is croatian the laws are different and get more complex. You speak croatian fluently so read the law to figure out if you fit into one of the many categories (theres still a good chance!)

Thats just one of the many varieties of ways to get it.

croatian citizenship
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 08:37:15 am »
I just found it! Read Clanak 11 first!

Članak 8.

Prirođenjem može steći hrvatsko državljanstvo stranac koji je podnio zahtjev za primanje u hrvatsko državljanstvo ako udovoljava ovim pretpostavkama:

1. da je navršio 18 godina života te da mu nije oduzeta poslovna sposobnost; YES, but it doesnt matter

2. da ima otpust iz stranog državljanstva ili da podnese dokaz da će otpust dobiti ako bude primljen u hrvatsko državljanstvo; YOU DONT WANNA DO THIS

3. da je do podnošenja zahtjeva imao prijavljen boravak najmanje pet godina neprekidno na teritoriju Republike Hrvatske; I DOUBT YOUVE DONE THIS

4. da poznaje hrvatski jezik i latinično pismo; YES, but it doesnt matter

5. Da se iz njegova ponašanja može zaključiti da poštuje pravni poredak i običaje u Republici Hrvatskoj i da prihvaća hrvatsku kulturu. YOU BETTER :) Then you get the drzavljanstvo! That was easy!

Smatrat će se da je udovoljeno pretpostavci iz točke 2. stavka 1. ovoga članka, ako je zahtjev podnijela osoba koja je bez državljanstva ili koja će ga prema zakonu zemlje čiji je državljanin izgubiti samim prirođenjem.

Ako strana država ne dopušta otpust ili za otpust postavlja pretpostavke kojima se ne može udovoljiti, dovoljna je izjava osobe koja je podnijela zahtjev da se pod pretpostavkom stjecanja hrvatskog državljanstva odriče stranog državljanstva.

Članak 11.

Iseljenik (your mom) kao i njegovi potomci (thats you) mogu prirođenjem (naturalization) steći hrvatsko državljanstvo iako ne udovoljavaju pretpostavkama iz članka 8. stavka 1. točaka 1-4. ovoga zakona.

Stranac koji je u braku s iseljenikom koji je stekao hrvatsko državljanstvo u smislu odredbe stavka 1. ovoga članka može steći hrvatsko državljanstvo, iako ne udovoljava pretpostavkama iz članka 8. stavka 1. točaka 1-4. ovoga zakona.

U smislu stavka 1. ovoga članka, iseljenik je osoba koja se iselila iz Hrvatske u namjeri da u inozemstvu stalno živi.

Vianna

croatian citizenship
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 12:19:01 pm »
Hello Marijah,

I wouldn´t look for any property in Croatia - I am Croatian descent myself and my dad (honest man) knows lots about the "business" when it comes buying property overthere.... there has been many cases where RICH croatians bought property and in the end they ended bankrupt - it is a HUGE theft business going on for those croatians that has lived abroad or even were born abroad and in older days when they are interested in buying it costs them even their shirt....

Sounds sad to me!

croatian citizenship
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 04:32:56 am »
Wow Vianna, you seem to know a lot about this. Your dad sounds like a very informed and reassuring source.

"there has been many cases where RICH croatians bought property and in the end they ended bankrupt " Could you name one? How exactly did buying property make a "RICH" person bankrupt?

"it is a HUGE theft business going on for those croatians that has lived abroad or even were born abroad" How is it a "HUGE theft business?" Do people sell property, but then refuse to move out..? Please elaborate on this theft business because its so HUGE.

"and in older days when they are interested in buying it costs them even their shirt...." Who takes clothes for payment and where can I find this person?

I believe Vianna is referring to the high real estate prices in Croatia. They are due to the popularity of the place and the high interest of RICH people who can afford to pay a lot for a piece of that beautiful country that is Croatia. It sucks, but only proves the profitability of investing now before Croatia enters the EU (even more RICH people).  

marijah

croatian citizenship
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 12:09:50 am »
Well...despite the disparaging words about CRO property...I have to say I am bit more hearty than that! My question is now about the limited partnership I will be needing to set up. Thank you for the replies, by the way, to all of you. Nothing is more important to me than finding a little place to call my own in my homeland.

Does anyone know how and where I begin the limited partnership process?

Guest_marijana

croatian citizenship
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 02:08:42 am »
hi

dont listen to anyone,do your OWN resaerch  and trust your own insticts and judgement.Go ahead and buy property in Croatia.I also have some and its Grat when you have your own to go to when you visit your homeland.I come from Australia.I know HEAPS of people that have brought property in Crostis in last 5 yrs or so.YES there has been few that got srewed but by their own fault by not doing ground work first,well when we buy property here in Austraila we have to do a reasrch first too so why would it be any different for Cro?

I also agree with you it will only become more expensive in the future ehen Croatia enters EU.

Good luck and have fun
m :D  B)  

Maremoja

croatian citizenship
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 02:21:43 am »
Hi Everyone

I am a US citizen who was born in the states.  My parents were born in Croatia and are also US citizens...There was a procedure but its really not hard...

The answer is YES you can become a citizen

Offline Frozie

Re: croatian citizenship
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 01:40:19 pm »
Yes, you'll get citizenship. If one of your parents is Croat, then you're a Croat too. If Garry Kasparov got it  then you will. :)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:20:38 pm by Frozie »