Author Topic: wedding in Dubrovnik  (Read 146206 times)

Ivvy80

Re: wedding
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2007, 01:06:50 am »
Sorry Sanja

I do apologise - my email address is iradas@internode.on.net and not the one I listted aove. Just drop the .au.

Thanks again
Ivka

Dubrovnik Online Forum

« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2007, 01:06:50 am »

spcshaye

« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2007, 08:02:56 pm »
Hi Sanja

Please send me the link for your wedding info

thank you

soozi   -  s.hayes1@lancaster.ac.uk

jenster3010

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2007, 02:30:20 pm »
Hi Sanja

I am getting married in June 2007 in dubrovnik

I would love to see your photos, your email was most helpful

Thanks
Chemaine

Chemaine,  I too am getting married in Croatia in June 07.  Where are you getting married?

Anne

« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2007, 03:18:22 pm »
HI has anyone heard anything about the Irish wedding tourist ban in croatia??

mia0514

« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2007, 06:33:55 pm »
HI has anyone heard anything about the Irish wedding tourist ban in croatia??

Hi Anne,

I read Croatian news every day (I work as a human rights analyst for the Balkans), but have not come across this info. What is your source?

Cheers,
Sanja

p.s. Thanks everyone for their comments on my wedding pics:)

Anne

« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2007, 08:04:30 pm »
Hi Sanja,

Seemly the irish media has been reporting that there may be a ban on irish tourists getting married in croatia, due to the fact many tourists are going to Dubrovnik unprepared with paper work and they are not dressing apprioatly for the Church.
here is a link which you will need Media player to hear a radio discussion on RTE the main broadcaster. this braodcast is from the 14th of February, you will have to scroll down and select the link regarding Croatia.

http://www.rte.ie/news/drivetime/

Now here is an article which was in the Irish Independent today the 15th of February, it looks like there is not yet a Ban, but that the bishops are advised to discourage irish people travelling abroad for weddings,
I can completly see the point in which they have.

AN IRISH Catholic bishop has ordered his priests to clamp down on couples getting married abroad.

His action follows complaints from Croatian bishops about their behaviour in church.

Croatian church officials sent bishops here a scathing letter criticising the behaviour of Irish "wedding tourists" - and especially the women's "inappropriate" clothing in church.

The letter, from the Diocese of Dubrovnik, also hit out at Irish people travelling to Croatia for church weddings who never attend confession or have no contact with their parish priests back in Ireland.

It appealed to Irish bishops to "discourage" Irish couples from going to Dubrovnik for weddings.

The main complaints concerned:

* putting Croatian priests "under a lot of pressure" to get married at short notice;

* couples not having the proper papers;

* little or no preparation by the couple and guests;

* lack of awareness and respect for rules on receiving communion;

* people, mainly women, wearing inappropriate clothes in church.

The Irish Independent has learned that one Irish bishop has already responded. In an edict issued to his clergy, Catholic Bishop of Meath Michael Smith expressed his concern about the growing number of couples who go abroad to get married.

Priests were worried about the number of people going abroad to get married, the document said.

They feared that couples were concentrating on the trimmings and not putting sufficient planning into the marriage ceremony itself.

Tightening diocesan rules governing such marriages, Bishop Smith's directive calls for foreign wedding arrangements to be made only when a couple have met their parish priest and started pre-nuptial discussions.

Discourage

The priest should commence the wedding papers only after receipt of a letter from the priest abroad stating his willingness to celebrate the sacrament.

Papers must be sent to the bishop's office in Mullingar at least three months and preferably six months before the proposed marriage, accompanied by €100 to cover expenses.

The Croatian letter, details of which were revealed in 'The Irish Catholic' newspaper, was sent to Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland Dr Sean Brady, urging the Irish bishops to actively discourage such marriages.

A spokesman for the Catholic bishops confirmed that the Chancellor of Dubrovnik, Monsignor Ivan Simic, who signed the letter, insisted there was no pastoral reason for weddings in Dubrovnik.

These weddings were clearly advancing "the touristic promotions of certain wedding agencies".

Monsignor Simic also complained that Croatian priests had been put under a lot of pressure to marry Irish couples at short notice and without the proper papers.

Disturbed

He said that "very often wedding candidates put our parish priests under a lot of pressure arranging wedding ceremonies and booking plane tickets and hotels before getting all the necessary papers done".

According to the chancellor, in some cases marriages had been conducted with little or no preparation by the couple and guests.

The Croatian clergy had been disturbed by a lack among Irish couples of awareness of and respect for rules on receiving communion.

Dr Brady has passed on the letter to his fellow bishops. The matter will be discussed at the hierarchy's general meeting in March.

However, Bishop Smith has moved to crack down on abuses associated with weddings abroad ahead of any decisions that might be made later by the bishops. [/
b]

I have contacted my agent who is organising the wedding and she has assured me that eveything will be ok as i have carried out the correct procedures in regards to paperwork, our marraige preparation course and our meeting with the priest here in Ireland to ensure all documents etc are in order,

I hope this is of some help to everyone,

Catherina

« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2007, 12:00:23 pm »
Hi Sanja,

We are getting married in Dubrovnik in Sept/Oct 2008. The information you provide is very helpful.

Can you please send me the link to your wedding site. My email address is cunninghamcat@yahoo.ie.

Thanks,
Cat.

Jack

« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2007, 03:31:38 pm »
Do anybody know of wedding suit hire comanies in the dubrovnik area? It would be great to hire the suits over there if possible.....

mia0514

« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2007, 05:01:35 pm »
Do anybody know of wedding suit hire comanies in the dubrovnik area? It would be great to hire the suits over there if possible.....

Unfortunately, there are no tux/suit rentals in Dubrovnik. My husband and I looked quite extensively into this, asked the locals and Nina Bos, only to discover that Croatians perceive the idea of renting a suit a bit weird.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 04:38:06 pm by mia0514 »

IvanaDBK

« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2007, 01:13:14 pm »
I must tell you my story about Dubrovnik weddings ... My Grandparents are originally from Dubrovnik I was born and raised in Australia. I visited them there a few times and I fell in love with the place. It is a beautiful place. So 2 years ago when i got engaged I wanted to be married in the Cathedral in the old town of Dubrovnik. All the planning was great. I thought everything was under control. My fiancé and I planned everything (well actually I planned everything) We made reservations for private accommodations for the family and friends to fly up together and we were to arrive in Dubrovnik 1 weeks before the wedding. Everything was great we arrive I was walking around like a chicken with her head cut off but everything was under control until I realize with all the commotion going on before we left. I forgot my beautiful wedding dress in Australia. Not only did i forget that... NO ONE REMINDED ME!! So after crying for about 3 hours straight i had a new mission find a wedding dress. Now that was amazing so i find out the have 2 places in Dubrovnik for wedding dresses. The first place I was able to rent a dress which i really wasn’t too comfortable with.... But as a last reserve what are you going to do. So i went by the other bridal store and I was able to purchase a great dress at a reasonable price and I must admit it was nicer than the one I left at home. The staff was great one of the girls even came to my room before the wedding to help me get dresses. The girls at the bridal store even gave me some great tips. They saved me... So the moral of this story make sure you don’t forget your wedding dress even though I am happy it turned out that way because the dress was gorgeous!

Nicola Fitzpatrick

« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2007, 11:06:09 am »
Hi Sanja,

Your day sounds fantastic! I am just starting to look into a venue abroad for our weddinjg and Croatia looks fab, We would love to have a look at your Pictures and the all the tips you have given us are fantastic!
my email is nicola.fitzpatrick@gs.com

Thanks
Nikki

Rachel

« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2007, 06:07:49 pm »
Dear Sanja,

We are getting married in May next year and would love to see your photos is they are still available. It sounds like you had a fantastic day. My email is rachelandmikewedding@yahoo.co.uk.

Thank you

Rachel

Elaine

« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2007, 12:01:02 pm »
Hi Sanja
We have just hired a wedding planner in Dubrovnik and plan to do almost exactly like you did.  Your price guide is great, I think we have been given the same band (not getting a choice I dont think) so thats reassuring to know they are good.

I would love to see your photos if I could. 
Also how late did they allow you to stay on the terrace and do they let you stay in the hotel bar later then if you want ?  We have a few die hard party animals who will want to stay up all night..........

Thanks again

james

« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2007, 05:06:00 pm »
hi Sanja,

wow, thanks for all the info in your post, great place to start, i'd love to have a link to see your photos, we're quite interested in an island wedding and love to know how much the boat trip improved your wedding, did all you guests and yourself enjoy it, it just seems to bring something a little different to the day.

with the islands did you find that it seemed more private?

jana

« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2007, 09:07:13 pm »
Dear Sanja

Thanks for the helpful info. Sorry about the jutarnji thing!
Please e-mail me your wedding site address - really wanna see the pics (gmirjana@gmail.com)!

Many thanks and regards!
J