Author Topic: wedding in Dubrovnik  (Read 133803 times)

jane

wedding in Dubrovnik
« on: November 06, 2004, 09:38:53 pm »
we are hoping to get married in dubrovnik in june.  Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant for reception to cater for 20 people, overlooking the sea.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:08:56 am by Orsat Munitic »

Dubrovnik Online Forum

wedding in Dubrovnik
« on: November 06, 2004, 09:38:53 pm »

rob

wedding
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 10:20:10 pm »
hey, we are thinking of getting married in dubrovnik as well! Have you found much out about it at all, we are just setting out our ideas.
As far as a resturant goes we had an excellent meal in Proto, no sea views but the food and service is excellent. If you want a seaview then there is a resturant just outside the city walls. I think it is called Atlas Club Nautika. It has an excellent reputation for food (the pope ate there on his visit to croatia) and has a sea terrace.
Both these restuarants have a reputaion as being amongst the best in town but don't think this imediately means a massive expense or snobby atmosphere. 2 of us had a 2 course meal and cognac etc in Proto and it came to about £50 for the both of us!  
The Phone number for Nautika is 020/44-25-26 or 020/44-25--73 You will bneed to croat international code as well.
restaurant.nautika@dubrovnikportal.com is the e-mail addy.  

darren frankland

wedding
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 10:42:14 am »
Hi Guys,
We too are exploring the idea of getting married over in Dubrovnik in late summer time 2006 (a little while off yet) ..... however we are quite clueless as to how everything actually works!
What is the general procedure for foreigners marrying over there ie. Can we have a church wedding? Do we need a seperate blessing? Will it be a fully 'lawful' weeding? .... sorry for the ignorance but we don't really know where to start!!

Also ... is there any information available about Churches/Chapels that would carry out a wedding service??

I'd reallyappreciate some good advice, and really good luck with the weddings.

Cheers
Darren.

Snack Cakes

wedding
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 02:42:38 am »

Hello. We're getting married in Dubrovnik in May (assuming the paperwork goes through, fingers crossed!). We're having a civil ceremony which, from what I can tell, is less complicated than having a religious ceremony, though that can be arranged as well.

If you're looking for a wedding planner, I wouldn't recommend gloria-weddings, though that's the only one people seem to know about. I contacted her and found the woman to be unresponsive and pretty disinterested in arranging a small, inexpensive wedding (she also told us we had to handle our own paper work - hello! what exactly is a wedding planner for if not to help you with such things?) A friend who is also getting married in Dubrovnik contacted her as well and she quoted her an outrageous price for her services, something like 19,000 euros.

In the end, we decided to get married at the Pucic Palace, which is apparently the only hotel inside the old walled town. The rooms are very expensive but they don't charge a fee to get married there during the day, and the woman I'm dealing with there has been extremely helpful and attentive to details. So far the service has been excellent!

As for restaurants, my friend who's getting married there went on a trip to arrange things and said the Atlas Nautika and Proto are both very good.

Good luck!!  :D  

darren frankland

wedding
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 10:25:57 am »
The Punic Palace does indeed look a great venue for a wedding .... Last year we had a peep in there and it was superb.
We too have been liasing with the (very helpful) Punic Palace, but we are probably just looking to have a daytime ceremony on the terrace there, and are unsure about going 'the whole hog' .ie. staying at the Hotel, full dinner, decorations, string quartet etc etc ............. it could then also become a very expensive weddng - and we are looking to get away with it being inexpensive!
What services have you opted for at the Punic Palace (if you don't mind me asking!)? Have you been given a special deal on staying at the hotel?
If possible i would like to just have a 'buffet' & drinks on the terrace immediately after the ceremony, and then have the meal @ a different venue later in the day, however they do not seem to have a 'buffet' option.
Any ideas?
many thanks
Darren
ps. It would be great if you could leave a message after your wedding to say how well things went. :)

Anna Burlow

wedding
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 10:40:38 am »
Hi All,

I am writing an article about getting married in Dubrovnik for a UK magazine called 'Croatia Exclusive'. I would be very grateful if those of you planning a wedding in Dubrovnik or those who have had a wedding in Dubrovnik could take the time to email me at annaburlow@yahoo.com.au, with your thoughts and opinions on how your wedding planning has progressed? Why did you chose Dubrovnik as your venue? How have you found the bureacracy, as a foreigner getting married in Croatia? If you have successfully held your wedding in Dubrovnik, I would be interested to know how the wedding was? Did the service providers live up to your expectations? Did the city as a venue live up to your expectations?

Thank you for your time and effort.

Kind regards,
Anna Burlow.

Daniela

wedding
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 10:53:28 pm »
Hello,

I'ver just found this site and I immediately felt relieved. I would be real grateful if more people shared their experiences.
I am Croatian that never actually lived in Croatia.  I recently moved to London from Denmark as I am engaged and marrying an Englishman. My family doesn't live in Croatia either so planning a wedding in Dubrovnik would be a bit difficult from here.
Actually, we want a big summer party in Dubrovnik next summer. However, we are officially getting married on May 25th this year in Scotland. We are plannng on going to Dubrovnik this summer and get an idea of how things look over there.

Thanks a lot, and best of luck to everyone,

Mel and Jim

wedding
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 03:47:54 am »
We are looking to get married in Croatia this September, but have just began doing some research to plan this.  We specifically need some help with learning about the paperwork involved and also about different locations.  Last summer we visited Zagreb, but have not been to Dubrovnik (though we have heard is very beautiful).  
If anyone could give us some recommendations for a small civil ceremony location (perhaps a beach), and for any contacts to assist us with the documentation, this would be wonderful!

Cheers!  :rolleyes:

Mel and Jim

nibo

wedding
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 03:03:43 pm »
Hi everybody.

I am living in Dubrovnik since December last year. Some friends of mine asked me whether I knew somebody to help them, since they wanted to come down and get married here. I suggested the only wedding planner in town> Gloria weddings. Bad idea! She was very unhelpful and very expensive, so it seems. So then I tried to get information through a Croatian friend…but we found it all soooo expensive here.
As soon as people see you are a foreigner… they overcharge.
It is a shame, because this way people will be put off and will not come to this beautiful town. And beautiful it is. Dubrovnik has it all.
We solved the issue by organising the wedding ourselves. I helped them selecting the photographer, hotel, car, reception venue… and they saved a lot of money.

My friends inspired me to start up my own business here. I am still thinking about it. If some of you want more information about the town… beaches, restaurants, prices… I might be able to help.
Maybe I can help you too and that way I’ll get an idea if starting up my own company is feasible. That way we both win.
For those who are doubting beauty of the city of Dubrovnik... don't. It is the perfect location for a romantic wedding or honeymoon.
For information, write me a mail: ninabs64@yahoo.com

CB

wedding
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 07:00:12 am »
I'm from the US and my fiancee is from Croatia. She's Catholic and I'm not (I'm not even a baptised Christian). We live in Pakistan, where we do NGO relief and development work.  In order to get married in the Church, I believe I need to be baptised Catholic.  Does anyone know whether that's all? Or do I need to go through Confirmation and First Communition as well?  

Also, to get married in the Catholic Church one needs to take the pre-wedding marriage course.  Does anyone know if it's possble (allowable) for us to do the course in another country and then have the wedding in Croatia, or is it obligatory that the course be held in the came country/diocese/parish as the wedding?

Also, does anyone have experience having a Church wedding in Croatia with a priest who can celebrate in both English and Croatian?  (We'd both like our families and friends to understand the wedding service, but if it's only in Croatian language then half of the guests won't know what's going on.)

Finally, how about some weather advice.... We'd like to have our wedding when it's nice outside but we probably can't realistically get back to Croatia for this till the fall.  What are the odds of good weather in Dubrovnik in late October through mid November?  What are the odds of rain?

Thanks everyone!

pre-wedding course

wedding
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2005, 08:57:40 pm »
to CB:

I can only ensure you that in the catholic church you can take the pre-wedding course anywhere, and they seem to be quite flexible about it. I got married in Split, Croatia, and for the course I went to see several times a catholic priest in Stockholm (Sweden) while my husband took a pre-wedding course in Slovenia. You get a kind of certificate in latin  :)

Otherwise, if one of you is a catholic, the other one doesn't need to be it for the churcg wedding. Of course, the ceremony is in this case different, depending on whether you are a christian, some other religion or an ateist...

The best is to have someone who can contact a local priest at the place where you want to get married and discuss the matter. When we came from abroad to Split, few days before wedding we went to meet a priest who married us, and he talked briefly with us both but separately. My husband was even married once before, but it was in the church.

Good luck to you and I hope you manage to arrange a nice weeding!

P

wedding
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 04:30:59 pm »
Hi all,

I am from Ireland and am getting married in Dubrovnik next May.

We will have a party of about 40 to 50 people and would like to reserve a section in a restaurant for the evening, on the terrace if possible. As it is a wedding party we would like to stay late if possible. We've heard that restaurants stop serving at 11 but presume that they'll leave us stay on if we're drinking. Nautica are charging 200 euro per hour after 11pm to stay open.

We're looking for a restaurant that-
is lovely,
in the town centre,
has a terrace with views,
good food service
and reasonable prices.
will stay open until 1 or 2am (just so we can remain there, don't want food after 11pm).

We're planning to get married in St. Blaise's church.
Hotel- we don't have anywhere booked yet. We're seen brochures for the main hotels (argentina etc.)The Pucic Palace looks lovely but prices are too expensive.
Anyone recommend somewhere?

Any other information that would be useful would be much appreciated. I am visiting Dubrovnik this autumn to plan the wedding want to know what places to check out.
Cheers,
P

kiki

wedding
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 11:14:21 pm »
Hi all,

I am from Ireland and am getting married in Dubrovnik next May.

We will have a party of about 40 to 50 people and would like to reserve a section in a restaurant for the evening, on the terrace if possible. As it is a wedding party we would like to stay late if possible. We've heard that restaurants stop serving at 11 but presume that they'll leave us stay on if we're drinking. Nautica are charging 200 euro per hour after 11pm to stay open.

We're looking for a restaurant that-
is lovely,
in the town centre,
has a terrace with views,
good food service
and reasonable prices.
will stay open until 1 or 2am (just so we can remain there, don't want food after 11pm).

We're planning to get married in St. Blaise's church.
Hotel- we don't have anywhere booked yet. We're seen brochures for the main hotels (argentina etc.)The Pucic Palace looks lovely but prices are too expensive.
Anyone recommend somewhere?

Any other information that would be useful would be much appreciated. I am visiting Dubrovnik this autumn to plan the wedding want to know what places to check out.
Cheers,
P
P, you should check out hotel excelsior's taverna rustica. See http://www.hotel-excelsior.hr/home.aspx?PageID=6

You can have your wedding on the terrace of the Rector's Palace, Sponza Palace, Lovrijenac fortress. All of these venues require catering as they are not restaurants. Also, they are obviously more expensive.

Also check out the newly opened Hotel Hilton Imperial on Pile.

Another place that I thought of is a restaurant that recently opened a bit above the parking lot by Pile. It is above the Capitano Bar. You will see it when you go this autumn. You can inquire by them. I havent been there, but the terrace looks lovely. Another place you can check out is the Labirint restaurant http://www.labirint-dubrovnik.com/ within the old town, but towards Ploce, and the East West Club restaurant on Banje Beach (between old town and hotel excelsior). http://www.ew-dubrovnik.com/ I think having the reception at the East West Club on the beach would be absolutely gorgeous with views of the old town, sea, and lokrum. I think you would be able to get a good deal at one of these places.

Please update us. I plan on getting married at St. Blaise too. Only, I am having a lot of people so I might have to get married in the cathedral (its behind St. Blaise).

Which hotel should you stay at... Pucic Palace is way too expensive. Stay at Hotel Excelsior, Argentina, or Imperial. They are the closest to the old town, to your church and reception place and 5 star. Still too expensive? How about Hotel Stari Grad? If you want to venture out further from the old town of dubrovnik check out hotel dubrovnik palace.

Mel and Jim

wedding
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2005, 03:47:59 am »
Many thanks to kristina for the information on the  website.  I am working with a very helpful lady who is offering us various wedding packages and locations.  This seems like a good company.  Has anyone worked with this company to plan a civil wedding ceremony?  I have heard of Gloria weddings, but have not heard any feedback (or mention) of this group - Travel House.  Please pass on any information that you may have.

Also, some of the locations that we are looking to hold the ceremony are the Villa Ariston or Villa Astra.  Any feedback on these two villas would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:08:19 pm by admin »

mari

wedding
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 11:24:35 am »
"Villa Ariston or Villa Astra"  I have never heard for that villas in Dubrovnik