Author Topic: VEGETARIAN DUBROVNIK  (Read 5325 times)

pushkin

VEGETARIAN DUBROVNIK
« on: July 12, 2004, 11:59:14 pm »
Can anybody recommend any restaurants/cafes in Dubrovnik for good vegetarian food (that is, no meat or fish)?  Are there any local dishes which are not meat or fish based?  And are there any health food stores selling items such as soya milk, wheat-free products etc?  

Dubrovnik Online Forum

VEGETARIAN DUBROVNIK
« on: July 12, 2004, 11:59:14 pm »

pushkin

VEGETARIAN DUBROVNIK
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 11:12:24 am »
As I have now returned from a wonderful stay in Dubrivnik, perhaps I can reply to my own post!

There are no specifically vegetarian restaurants in Dubrovnik, although as a vegetarian it is possible to eat reasonably well. Almost every restaurant has a variant of the "vegetarian platter" on the menu, and this generally consists of a selection of fresh vegetables (for example, aubergines, courgettes, mushrooms, tomatoes, sometimes with rice) which is fine, if a little unimaginitive. It does not seem to have occurred to the chefs that vegetarians need a protein source, and the platters could easily be made more nourishing and sustaining with the addition of a pulse - beans, lentils, chick peas.  Omelettes are common, and of course there are Italian restaurants serving veggie pasta dishes.  Just a short trip along the coast to the east will take you to Mlini, which actually has a 100% veggie restaurant. Sadly I was not able to sample it, but it looked good.

For a good cheap lunch you cannot go far wrong with the Self Service Restaurant in a side street off the Stranum to the right towards St. Blaise's Church, which has a good range of salads, pulses, potatoes and rice, priced by weight and very good value.   Enjoy!