Take a guided walking tour of Old Town Dubrovnik with professionally licensed guides.
Tailored to suit small groups and individuals who wish to break away from the crowd and experience more intimate settings. Best of all, you can be sure that our guides are not only professionally licensed, but also friendly and knowledgeable locals who will enjoy showing you all the hidden gems and attractions that make Dubrovnik unique. Dubrovnik Online allows you to customize and design your own trip, always pleased to help you in guidance and directions.
The Roman refugees from Epidaurum established their settlement at the rock called Laus. The Slavs established their settlement at the foot of mountain Srđ.
The name of the town was firs mentioned by an anonymous from Ravena.
City Walls complex, 1940 meters long and up to 40 meters high, was built.
Arabs (Saracens) attacked Dubrovnik. Byzantine Emperor sent his ships to help Dubrovnik and break the 15 month long siege.
St. Vlaho (St. Blasius) has been chosen as the patron saint of Dubrovnik. His image was impressed on seals and coins, carved in a stone, and painted on banners. The St. Vlaho's day is celebrated until today on February 3.
Dubrovnik was burned and devastated by Macedonian Emperor Samuilo.
Dubrovnik became an Archbishopy and Metropolis. Until 1089 Kotor, Ulcinj, Bar and some other bishopies were under its rule.
The canal between Roman and Slav settlements was filled. The settlements became one unit and spread from the sea to the foot of the mountain hill. A wall encircled the whole area.
Dubrovnik officially recognized the role of Venetian Duke Pietro II Orseolo.
Dubrovnik returned under the protection of Byzantine Empire.
The first written document of Dubrovnik's origin - the Benedictines receved the Island of Lokrum as a gift.
People in the town are divided into patricians and commoners, and a new class, the nobles, is mentioned for the first time.
Fort Lovrjenac is built. It bears a famous inscription NON BENE PRO TOTO LIBERTAS VENDITUR AURO(Liberty can not be sold for all gold of the world).
Dubrovnik recognized the sovereignty of Normans. With Norman help they entered the markets of South Italy, Apulia, and Sicily.
Dubrovnik contracted its first known trade agreement. That agreement allowed the town of Molfetta and Dubrovnik the freedom to trade without payment of port fees.
Arabian scholar, El-Idrisi, wrote in his book that "Dubrovnik was the last town of Croatia".
Dubrovnik came under the administration of Byzant.
Dubrovnik signed trade agreement with Pisa, which enabled Dubrovnik to enjoy the same privileges as Pisa throughout Levanat, Constantinopole, and areas of Syria and Gibraltar.
Venice domination over Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik accepted the protection of Normans and freed itself from Venetian rule.
Stefan Nemanja, Serbian sovereign, attacked Dubrovnik. Peace was signed in 1186. By that peace contract Dubrovnik had the freedom of trade for the land of Raska.
Dubrovnik signed the trade agreement with Ravenna.
Bosnian sovereign, Kulin Ban, allowed the people of Dubrovnik the liberty of trading in Bosnia without paying taxes. In that agreement the name of Dubrovnik appeared for the first time.
The law granting free entrance to the town of some criminals and debtors at the day of St. Vlaho, was passed.
Dubrovnik signed trade agreements with the towns of Fana and Ancona.
Dubrovnik signed trade agreements with Monopoli, Bari, and Termoli.
Dubrovnik and Kotor formed an alliance.
Dubrovnik contracted trade agreements with towns of Villigia, Justiniana, Ferrara, and Rimini, and got the right for free trading at the territories of Albania, Serbia, and Bulgaria. The Dominicans came to town.
Dubrovnik signed trade agreements with the towns of Split and Šibenik, Raska rulers, and Bosnian Ban.
The Great and Small Councils are mentioned for the first time. The Friars Minors settled in Dubrovnik.
Venice dominates Dubrovnik. Dubrovnik ships were not allowed to use the ports of Ancona and Premantura except when carrying cargo to Venice
Trade agreements with Corfu and Ulcinj were signed by Dubrovnik's people.
The Statute of Dubrovnik was founded containing different laws and regulations regarding internal and external life of the community, administration, trade, maritime law, crafts, urban regulations for the development of the town, sewage, etc. This 8-book Statute is one of the oldest in Europe.
From this year on all fiscal books and other files from the archives were maintained. The Dubrovnik Archive become a very important source of information.
The Claris Monastery at Puncela was built.
The huge fire devastated a large portion of the town. After that Dubrovnik's new urban plan was developed.
From this year on minutes were taken at the meetings of the Great and Small Council and senate.
The Dominican Church was erected.
Minčeta tower was built.
Dubrovnik bought the territory of Ston and Pelješac from Raska rulers.
Franciscan Monastery is built in the transitional Romanesque-Gothic style.
The official mint factory in the building called Divona (previously the town's customs house) started to operate. The first coin was minted. Until 1803. Dubrovnik minted its own money, the perpera, which was a convertible currency.
Mljet was included in Dubrovnik's territory.
Fortress St. Ivan was built in four stages.
The town port was protected during the night with a thick steel chain that streched from the breakwater Kaše to the tower of St. Luka.
The first hospital Domus Christi was built.
Almost 8000 citizens died of "black death" (plague).
Firearms appeared for the first time in Dubrovnik.
The Jewish community was mentioned for the first time.
The aristocracy took over the role of the town.
St. Vlaho (St. Blasius) church was built. Later destroyed in earthquake.
From this year on, the city was officially represented by the Rector and Council of Dubrovnik.
Dubrovnik was among the first ports to introduce a quarantine for ships and passengers. The first quarantines were at the Islands of Mrkan and Bobara. Later on they were moved closer to the town, at Lazareti, Ploce.
The Sultan gave Dubrovnik a letter of guarantee confirming them a liberty of trade at his territory.
The construction of the City Clock Tower began.
The Synagogue is built. It is said to be the oldest in the Balkans and the third oldest in Europe. It functioned throughout the Second World War.
The last 200 wooden houses in the town were demolished and replaced with stone. Dubrovnik was completely built in stone.
Dubrovnik abolished slave trading
The first manufacture in the Balkans was established in Dubrovnik by Petar Pantella.
The Orlando Column was erected as the symbol of the town's autonomy
Dubrovnik bought the territory of East Konavle from Duke Sandalj Hrndić.
The pharmacy was founded.
The glass factory was opened.
Blaž Jurije Trogiranin painted his famous painting Crucifixion in St. Nicholas church in Ston.
Dubrovnik bought the western part of Konavle and Cavtat. By this it rounded off its territory and stopped the extensions on other territories.
The law about workers protection in textile manufactures was passed by the Great Council as the first law of that kind in Croatia.
The first public school was opened.
Water supply system and two fountains, the Big and Small Onofrio's Fountain were built.
The government appointed the first consul in Ancona.
The Small Fountain was built by Petar Martinov
Coral diving developed in the seas around the Elafiti Islands.
Pieta at the church of Male Brače was built by Paskoje Miličević.
Consulates were opened in Barltta, Bari, Siracusa, Manfredonia, Pesaro, Ortona, and later on in Naples, Poligano, Termoli, Augusta, Malta, Marseille, etc.
Fortress Minčeta was built according to the design of Michelozzo Michelozzi and Juraj Dalmatinac.
Fortress Bokar was built after the design of Michelozzo Michelozzi and still "protects" the entrance to the harbor.
The channel between two parts of the town was paved and Stradun, the main street, was created.
Pile gate was built after the design of Paskoje Miličević.
The tower of Revelin was built.
Ivan Rabljanin forged the bell at the town's bell tower which hangs till today.
The Custom House (Divona, today Sponza) was built after the design of Paskoje Miličević in Ghotic - Renaissance style.
Church Sv. Spasa was built.
The town of Dubrovnik recognized the sovereignty of the Turkish Sultan and under his protection the town remained until 1808.
The Domus Christy public state hospital was built. It was the first in the Balkans.
The capital of Dubrovnik citizens was taxed by authorities and placed into foreign banks. This was done to prevent leakage of money from the state.
A large salt store house built in Mali Ston.
Dubrovnik had more ships than ever before: 170-200 large ships. The Dubrovnik ships were regarded as the best in the Mediterranean (merchant ships were called Argosy).
The Great Earthquake destroyed Dubrovnik. What remained untouched after the earthquake was consumed by fire.
Between 2000 and 3000 people survived and more than 4000 people died under the ruins.
New Cathedral in Roman baroque style was built at the place of the one that was destroyed in the earthquake. That Cathedral still exists.
St. Vlaho church was built in Baroque style after the designs of Marino Gropelli.
The Jesuit church was built.
Dubrovnik was occupied by Napoleon's general Lauriston.
By the decision of Marshal Marmont the Dubrovnik Republic was abolished, and all its territory placed under the French rule.